Oh boy. Stuffed Zucchini with Breadcrumbs and Parmesan is about to rock your world.
No kidding, the breading on these guys smells and tastes incredibly similar to Little Caesar’s breadsticks. My fiancée and I pluck the pan clean of any fallen breadcrumbs when I make these. If you’re a big fan of zucchini, you may have just found your next victim.Jump to Recipe
What makes Breaded Parmesan Stuffed Zucchini so good?
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese. Seriously folks, don’t skimp on this. The flavor of fresh parmesan is SO much better than its cousin that comes in the green plastic bottle. It has a rich, nutty taste.
- Perfectly baked zucchini. Opt for medium-sized zucchinis that are of similar thickness and shape so they all cook at the same time. You’re aiming for fork-tender, but not mushy. Tip: Your zucchini should still be a vibrant green once cooked. If it’s looking army green, that’s a sign it has been overcooked.
- Minced garlic.
- Melted butter.
- Italian Seasonings & Parsley. If you want to add fresh herbs here, even better!
- Crispy gluten-free breadcrumbs. Tip: If you don’t have to eat gluten-free, sub out gf breadcrumbs for your regular brand, or homemade.
How to make:
The best part about this side dish is that it is SO simple. It takes just a couple of steps and a little bit of baking. You can have this dish ready to pair with your main course in less than 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Grate parmesan cheese & set aside.
- Wash zucchini, chop in half length-wise and lay face up on a baking sheet. Optional: You can scoop out a little bit of the seeds if you want a zucchini bowl to fit the breadcrumbs into. However, if you’re a zucchini seed fan like me, you can leave the zucchini as is. The breadcrumb mixture will compact on the top and not much will fall off.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, Italian seasonings, and salt & pepper. Melt butter in the microwave and pour over the breadcrumb mixture. Stir together until the breadcrumbs start to clump a little and the moisture is evenly distributed.
- Spoon breadcrumbs evenly over top of each zucchini half.
- Bake until golden brown in the oven and until zucchini have just become fork-tender, about 20-25 minutes. If your zucchini cooks before the topping has browned, set the oven to a low broil for 2-5 minutes until golden.
- Serve with your main course.
Looking For More Sides?
Gluten Free Dinner Rolls (that rise!) – Great Value Recipe
Roasted Potatoes with Parmesan – Easy Little Potato Company Inspired Side
Gluten Free Cheddar Bay Biscuits – Red Lobster Copycat
Pico De Gallo, Five Ingredient – Better Than Store-Bought
Vinegar Slaw with Craisins – Easy Old Fashioned Coleslaw Without Mayo
Kale Salad with Apples, Craisins, and Goat Cheese – Easy Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
Stuffed Zucchini with Breadcrumbs and Parmesan – Tastes like Little Caesar’s Breadsticks!
- 3 medium-sized zucchini - halved lengthwise (makes 6 servings)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese - freshly grated from a block
- ⅔ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs (or regular) - (I used 4C Crumbs)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp Italian Seasonings
- 2 tsp minced garlic - (or 4 cloves minced)
- ¼ cup melted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a cookie sheet with a little bit of butter or use a silicone mat. Grate the parmesan cheese block and set aside.
- Wash the zucchini and cut it in half lengthwise. Lay face up on the cookie sheet. Optional: You may scoop some of the seeds out if you want a zucchini "bowl".
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine breadcrumbs, grated parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, Italian Seasonings, and salt & pepper.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Pour into the breadcrumb mixture and stir until the mixture clumps a little and the moisture is evenly combined. Spoon breadcrumb mixture into zucchini halves, pressing it so it compacts. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until zucchini has just become fork-tender and breadcrumbs are golden brown. You may broil for an additional 2-3 minutes on low to encourage browning.
- Serve with any main course!
Leave a Reply