So you like fajitas? My Chicken Fajitas with Mushrooms is a bit different from steak fajitas, but it turns out delicious every time.
Growing up, my mom would make steak fajitas a few times throughout the year. They are still one of my favorites, but recently I made them with chicken instead of beef and with the addition of mushrooms.
Tender, grilled chicken seasoned with a homemade fajita seasoning blend. Sautéed onion, mushrooms, and red and green bell pepper. Topped with creamy avocado, tangy sour cream, a blend of shredded cheese, and fresh salsa or fresh five ingredient Pico de Gallo.Jump to Recipe
For More Dinner Recipes:
Whole Roast Chicken – Rotisserie Herb Flavor – Easy $5 Meal
Garlic Butter Steak Bites with Potatoes | 60 Minute Easy Dinner
Salmon with Summer Mango Salsa and Sticky Rice
Gluten Free Coconut Shrimp with Peach Lime Sauce
BBQ Shredded Chicken Bowls – Easy Lunch Grain Bowls
Pineapple Pork Chops with Easy Glaze – Gluten Free
How to make Chicken Fajitas Gluten Free:
Almost everything in this recipe is naturally gluten-free. The only thing you have to switch out is the tortilla. I buy my fiancée regular flour tortillas and I buy myself Mission’s Gluten-Free Soft Taco Tortillas. They do break easily, so I recommend either warming them up for a few seconds in the microwave or on a skillet first to prevent tearing, or doubling up on them (two stacked on top of one another).
I have been yearning for ages to make my own homemade gluten-free tortillas (and keep putting it off), but when I do, I’ll be sure to link the recipe here.
If there’s one thing I love in a recipe, it’s a bounty of fresh vegetables. The more variety and varying colors, the better. This dish is a vibrant beauty once plated. Oh, and I love anything and everything with fresh lime.
Notes on Chicken Fajitas with Mushrooms:
- I cook my chicken, peppers, and onions in a grill pan. You can also use a cast iron skillet or nonstick frying pan. The goal is to sear the chicken until browned on both sides while also having enough room to add in the vegetables.
- You can prepare the fajita seasoning blend ahead of time (and even double or triple the amounts) and store it in a glass jar. It’s great to have on hand, and I’ve even used it in tacos instead of a store-bought taco seasoning packet.
- I prefer to cut my chicken into strips prior to cooking to help coat all sides in the fajita seasoning blend, but you can cook up the entire chicken breast and then slice when ready to serve; whichever is easiest. Note: If you leave your chicken whole, it will take longer to cook through and will need to go in the oven.
- Use tongs to easily scoop out the mixture and place into tortillas.
- This recipe makes for a great meal prep lunch.
- For something different, you can make lettuce wraps with Bibb, Butter, or Iceberg lettuce. You can also make a fajita bowl with rice, chicken and mushroom fajita mixture, and toppings.
- You can also replace the salsa with homemade Pico de Gallo to add even more freshness.
- To make this meal even faster, you can marinate the chicken overnight so it’s all ready to go the next day. This also makes for a great marinated chicken freezer meal! Simply just freeze the marinated uncooked chicken in the storage bag and pull it out on a busy night.
Chicken Fajitas with Mushrooms
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (or chicken tenders) - cut into strips
- 2 bell peppers (red and green, or colors of choice) - sliced
- 8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
- 1 small onion - sliced
- gf tortillas, flour tortillas, or lettuce halves
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime - for squeezing
- avocado, salsa or Pico de Gallo, sour cream, shredded cheese
For the Fajita Seasoning Blend:
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika - (You can also do smoked paprika for a smoky flavor)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- dash or two of crushed red pepper flakes - add more if you want it spicy
- dash or two of seasoned salt (optional)
To Make Fajita Seasoning Blend:
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar. Close the lid, and shake until well blended. Set aside until ready to use.
For the Chicken Fajitas:
- Wash, trim, & pat chicken dry with paper towels. Slice into thin strips. Place in a Ziploc bag along with 2 tbsp. lime juice, 1 tbsp. olive oil, and all of the Fajita Seasoning blend. Shake until coated. Refrigerate and marinate for 1-4 hours.
- Once ready to cook: Slice peppers and onions. Rinse off mushrooms; chop if too large or whole. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet, nonstick pan, or grill pan over medium-low heat. Sauté onions until translucent, then add in peppers and mushrooms. Cook until tender, then set aside in a bowl and cover with foil.
- Add marinated sliced chicken to the pan and sear. Once the chicken is cooked through, add peppers and onions back to the same pan to warm up.
- Meanwhile, prepare your fixings. Optional: You may want to heat your tortillas for a minute or two in a separate frying pan.
- Spoon chicken fajita with the mushroom mixture into tortillas; fold in half. Serve with toppings of choice and enjoy.
Leave a Reply